Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Can't beat my meat... loaf!

So far I've had good luck with my grain free recipes. Grain free meatloaf was delicious! Only problem is that it doesn't have that texture I'm used to. My mom always made hers with oatmeal, and it added a texture that is appealing. The grain free version was way more tender, and fell apart easier, but the flavor was great. Plus it was very moist. Dry meatloaf is nasty.

My onion crackers turned out good. They don't have that cracker texture, but they are crunchy, and still make a good vehicle for cheese consumption. I had a couple with some cream cheese spread on them as a snack last night, and must say, what they lack in texture they make up for in how filling they are. The recipe said to bake them for 2 hours in the oven, but I found it was easier, and way less hassle, to use my food dehydrator. They were already baked anyway (you bake the mixture in a loaf pan then let it cool completely before slicing into cracker shapes), so you mainly just need them to be hard and dry. The ones done in the dehydrator turned out way better.

Being a diabetic who's had constant blood sugar spikes and difficulty getting it down, I'm happy to say that eating this way has really helped solve that problem. It isn't within what doctors would call "normal" range, but it's very, very close. I'm below 200 a lot of the time 2 hours after meals. My blood sugar was never that good, even on medication!  Plus I don't have the nasty side effects I suffered through while on medication.

Even though I really would love a meatloaf sandwich made with Dave's Killer Rockin' Rye bread, (and I may cheat once this week and have it) the cravings are mostly gone. It is easier to say "no" to shit I shouldn't eat, and I noticed I'm feeling satisfied way sooner. All good things! Going grain free is continuing to be a good choice for me.







No comments:

Post a Comment