Thursday, December 20, 2012

Doc Visit & Test Results= The Fear...

So I went to the doctor on Monday and got a whole slew of tests done. The usual multiple vials of blood were drawn, and I had the oh so wonderful experience of peeing in a tiny cup. Yay fun!

Today I finally got the results back. I guess they could be worse. My doc wants to get me on a cholesterol drug (my results were 310), but my stance on that is a very strong "HELL NO!" My liver is still not doing the best, but I remember my last numbers, and it's better than a couple years ago. What is scaring me the most is the slightly lower than preferred numbers on my kidney functions.

Having diabetes sucks major donkey balls. If I knew back when I was 20, what I know now at 34, I probably could have avoided all the health issues I have right now. Luckily I have informed myself, and am taking firm grip on my health.

The two major things that I've really been trying hard to do more of is high intensity interval training, and weight lifting. I hate cardio, and always have. HIIT training for me is the less painful way of getting in cardio. I bust my ass doing it and get my heart rate up, then hit the weights. This works for me. As I get in better shape I'll add more time and go longer, but for now I'm doing 12 minutes. Each week I'll add a couple more minutes.

So far this week I have had 0, yes ZERO sugar of any kind. I've had zero grains as well. I managed to not cave and have ice cream, or the last homemade cinnamon roll. The only carbs I've consumed have been in the form of vegetables. Fruit is off the table since fructose, even in fruit with all the fiber, is bad for my glucose and on my already stressed liver. It has been hard, but the cravings have died down. When I wanted something sweet, I grabbed a glass of iced blueberry Stash tea with lemon and a couple drops of pure stevia extract.

A lot of people I know would be going insane without carbs. I know my fiance would be. He's addicted to sugary drinks and snacks like Flaming Hot Cheetos. I worry every time I see him eating this stuff, but I know that if he wants to get healthier, he has to make the change. Nagging at him won't do any good. He knows the shit is bad for him. Sure he gets side benefits because I cook healthy meals, but until he cuts out the soda, chips, and other junk food, it won't make too much of a difference. And the stuff that I'm not supposed to eat will still be in the house, taunting me.

So what am I eating? Well for one, I don't skimp on the healthy fats. Coconut oil is my main fat. I use it to cook with. For breakfast today I had bacon, organic eggs from the store (My parent's chickens haven't been laying as heavy since it's now winter time, so I haven't been able to get as many as I was during the summer and spring) cooked in a little coconut oil, and some sauted spinach. On top of that I took my plethora of vitamines and supplements: Cinnamon (for diabetes), vitamin C, D3, Magnesium, Fish oil, a potent B vitamin mix, and a bunch of other ones that I'm too lazy to list. For lunch I had some homemade chicken and veggie soup, though to be honest I ate mostly the broth and the veggies. That was really all I wanted, and I wasn't really super hungry even at 2pm anyway. It's 6pm now and I'm feeling hungry, but not starving. For dinner I'm making a sort of Chicken Cacciatore...



It's bone-in skinless chicken thighs that I browned in some coconut oil. Once they were brown on both sides I took them out and added 3 cloves garlic, a chopped onion and orange bell pepper, and some sliced green olives. Once the veggies were soft I added about 1/4 cup Merlot and a jar of the Marzano tomatoes I canned up in September. The sauce is seasoned with marjoram, oregano, sage, parsley, and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Simmer this with a lid on the skillet for about an hour and you get a tender, flavorful chicken dish that is great on a cold night. Most people would serve this with rice, but I usually would do cooked millet. However since I really need to not eat carbs right now, I'm just having some of my leftover Butternut Squash Risotto. When you're eating real food like this, full of good flavors from the herbs and home grown tomatoes, it is easier to curb the cravings for crap food. I'm not sure I'll ever get over my monthly craving for Taco Hell nachos, but I'm pretty determined not to give in to the cravings for crap foods that are basically poison in a tasty form. If I make nachos at home I can use real food, and my body will thank me for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment